‘Statements to Live By’ are a bank of 36 statements, rooted in nine guiding principles which support the distinctive nature of Catholic schools.
The statements make the Catholic values of the school explicit, promote a positive and caring Christian ethos that is understood and communicated to everyone, as well as developing emotional literacy and contributing towards the common good. They ensure that children and young people are given opportunities to:
- Hear the Christian story and encounter the person of Jesus
- Understand their uniqueness as made in the image and likeness of God
- Experience a sense of belonging within a range of communities, including the local Eucharistic community
- Know, appreciate and understand the importance of social justice
- Know that our limitations are also opportunities for growth
- Understand the connection between knowledge and living
- Know that everything has the opportunity to reveal God’s presence to us, i.e. to see the divine in the ordinary
- Forgive and be forgiven, to reconcile and be reconciled
- Experience fun, humour, imagination, creativity, play and excitement in life
In our school, we share these statements throughout the year, both as a whole school and in the classroom, with a focus on our common belief in the Gospel Values. We display the statements and use them to underpin our faith community.